Polish Roman - Catholic Church
In the first half of the XIX century in Irkutsk it was built a wooden church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, parishioners of which were Poles, exiled to Siberia after the November Uprising in 1830. This temple was burned in 1879. At the site of the burned church in 1884 was built a new stone church, which has been preserved to our time. In Soviet times, the church was used for various purposes. In 1978, in the temple it was opened an organ Philharmonic Hall, which is located in the temple so far. After reconstitution, the Catholic community in Irkutsk in 1991, attempts were made to return the church to the Catholics, but the temple was not returned. In 1998, the city administration has finally refused to return the church to the Catholic community. After the establishment of the Holy See of the Diocese of St. Joseph in Irkutsk was built a new Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Currently, the church belongs to the Irkutsk Philharmonic. The Catholic community of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is doing in worship him every day after organ concerts.