Ask a question
Church of Entrance of Our Lord Jesus Christ into Jerusalem
By the decree of the Government Senate of 1722, it was decided to fence cemeteries and build churches on them to serve the rites in all cities of the Russian empire. Irkutsk southern slope of the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross served as the cemetery - there the residential area of the city ended and random burial sites began. In 1795, the church in the name of the Entry of the Lord into Jerusalem was built with funds donated by Mikhail Sibiryakov, a merchant, then it was consecrated. Also, the place for the first official cemetery in the city, Jerusalem cemetery, was cleared and fenced.
Church of Nicolaos of Myra (Lystvyanka settlement)
Church of Nicolaos of Myra in Listvyanka has a beautiful history that eventually became a legend. According to a folk tale, in the early XIX a trading vessel of Ksenofont Sibiryakov, an Irkutsk merchant, got caught up in a storm in Baikal waters, the people were threatened with impending death. The merchant prayed in earnest for salvation to Nikolaos of Myra, the patron saint of seafarers. People said that St. Nikolaos appeared and saved the team and the ship. In the place of rescue, on the landing stage of the village of Nikola, Sibiryakov built a chapel to St. Nicholas and gave a vow to build a church.
Church of Nikolaos of Myra
The first chapel in Bolshoye Goloustnoye was built by Russian pioneering explorers in the late of XVII century, the second chapel in the name of St. Nikolaos the Wonderworker was built in 1701. Another ancient chapel was transported to Bolshoye Goloustnoye village from Convent of Holy Mother’s Sign in 1792. In the chapel there was an icon of Saint Nicholas attained, as legend has it, by an ingenious dweller, and was a special holy image for the local Buryats. Eventually, it became a tradition to deliver it to the Posolsky monastery, located on the other shore of t Lake Baikal, and from here it was solemnly carried around the Zabaikalye Territory.
Church of Our Lady of Kazan
The settlement “Sloboda” was located in the suburb of the pre-revolutionary Irkutsk. The residents of the settlement did not have a high income, so they could not afford to build a church. For a long time, they baptized children, got married and performed other rituals in the prison church of St. martyrs Boris and Gleb. However, the parishioners could not enter the church on holidays and Sundays due to the rules of the prison. In 1885, a new large temple was built under the supervision of A.M. Sibiryakov.
Church of the Holy Great Prince Vladimir, Equal of the Apostles
On July 15, 1888, in honor of the 900-th anniversary of baptism of Rus, with funds donated by V. A. Litvintsev, an Irkutsk merchant, the foundation of the stone church of Holy Prince Vladimir was laid on mountain Kashtakovskaya. The church project in the Russian style was compiled by V. F. Kudelsky, an Irkutsk architect. People called the church "white" or "Litvintsevskaya". Exactly seven years later, the temple was built, all interior and exterior works of the building were finished. The church icons were painted to order in the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius
Convent of Holy Mother’s Sign
According to the Irkutsk chronicle of P.I. Pezhemsky and V.A. Krotov, the year of the construction of the Convent of Holy Mother’s Sign is considered to be 1693. There is also a version that the convent was founded in 1689 by the order of the Paul, Metropolitan of Tobolsk and Siberia. The first wooden church in the name of the Holy Mother’s Sign, which laid the foundation for the monastery, was built by Vlas Sidorov on the bank of the Angara river in the mouth of the river Ida (Ushakovka) one kilometer away from the Irkutsk ostrog.
Holy Cross Church
The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kazan Church is an Orthodox Church of the Kazan Icon of the Virgin Mary. One of the most beautiful churches of Irkutsk. Our Lady of Kazan is the defender of Russia and the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God is most miraculous and significant for Christians.
Polish Roman - Catholic Church
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary is a Catholic Church in the city of Irkutsk. Located in the historic center of the city and is an architectural monument of federal significance.
Saint Innocent of Irkutsk
Saint Innocent, the first bishop of Irkutsk, (his secular name is John Kulchitsky) was born in the late of XVII century in Little Russia. After receiving education, he was admitted to the veil under the name Innocent. In 1719, Saint Innocent was transferred to the St. Petersburg Alexander Nevsky Monastery with promotion to the Chief Hieromonach of the Fleet. In 1720, he bore obedience as Father Superior of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery. In 1721, Hieromonach Innocent was ordained as Bishop of Pereyaslavl and appointed to the Beijing Spiritual Mission to China. The Chinese government denied a visa to “the man of the cloth, to the Very Reverend Sir”, as him was carelessly characterized by the Senate Commission for Foreign Affairs, so Saint Innocent had to stay in Selenginsk.
The synagogue was built by the Irkutsk architect V.A.Kudelsky in 1879. The building impresses with its size and plasticity of interesting facades. Irkutsk Synagogue is the oldest operating synagogue in Russia.
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of the Mother of God
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of the Mother of God is the cathedral church of the Eparchy of St. Joseph, founded in 2002. The construction of the cathedral began in June 1999. The consecration of the cornerstone of the cathedral took place on September 5, 1999. The stones from Golgotha, Mount of Transfiguration, Nazareth and Fatima and other relics were laid during construction of the cathedral. On April 21, 2000, the cross of the new cathedral was consecrated, erected and installed. On September 8, 2000, the consecration of the cathedral took place.
Znamensky Monastery (The Church of the Holy Sign Painter)
Znamensky Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Siberia. The monastery has a necropolis, where some Decembrists and other prominent citizens were buried. Nearby there is a monument to Alexander Kolchak.